Exhibits - Coming Soon
America to Zanzibar: Muslim Cultures Near and Far
Saturday, February 3 – Sunday, May 13, 2018
Travel the world in a single museum visit!
Enjoy hands-on experiences and discover fascinating objects, images and information from over 50 countries. Children and families can explore ancient trade routes on a two story Indian Ocean dhow (boat) or on a camel. They’ll thrill to the excitement of a global marketplace as they pretend to buy, sell and trade fruit, fish, spice, ceramic, textiles, and rugs. The exhibit environment is rich with art, architecture and design elements from across the globe. Visitors will marvel at a 3D exploration of mosque architecture from the Maldives to China. There’s even an interactive replica/interpretation of a Pakistani truck for children to decorate.
Families can also compose music using an app featuring the rebana, tabla, kora, oud, ney, and ghijak, listen to stories and view objects shared by America Muslim families and even learn how to write and say “My name is …” in 21 languages.
America to Zanzibar: Muslim Cultures Near and Far was developed by the Children’s Museum of Manhattan (CMOM).
Major support has been provided by: National Endowment for the Humanities, Doris Duke Foundation for Islamic Art, MetLife Foundation, Institute of Museum and Library Services – a federal agency, Robert Sterling Clark Foundation, Open Society Foundations, National Endowment for the Arts, Children’s Museum of Manhattan Board of Directors and scores of individuals.
Additional support provided by the El-Hibri Foundation, The Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation, Goldman Sachs, National Endowment for the Arts, Sultan Qaboos Cultural Center, The Violet Jabara Charitable Trust.
Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood, A Grr-ific Exhibit
Saturday, May 26 – Sunday, September 9, 2018
Sing, explore and pretend with friends and family in some favorite places from Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood. Based on the award-winning PBS KIDS television series Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood, Daniel and his friends help young children navigate their world and parents guide their journey.
Try a new activity, share a memory and make some new ones on this beautiful day. Daniel and friends bring the wisdom and life lessons of Fred Rogers to a new generation.
Children and families will:
- Transform into your favorite characters and neighborhood helpers, such as a policeman and doctor, using costumes and hand-held face masks. See yourself sparkle in the Imagination Mirror and act out a scene on the Imagination Stage.
- Use a simple knitting machine to create a piece of a red sweater.
- Visit the Clock Factory where you can play with different kinds of clocks; work with others to make the clock tick.
- Express yourself using one-of-a-kind musical instruments.
- Write or draw a thank you note to someone who has done something special for you and share it on the Thank You Tree.
- Meet Daniel and all of his friends at the Neighborhood School. Make each friend move and say something special.
- Sort, deliver and receive mail and packages at the Neighborhood Post Office.
- Select a block and place it on the table to hear to Daniel sing a strategy song from the series.
Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood, A Grr-ific Exhibit is created by the Children's Museum of Pittsburgh in partnership with The Fred Rogers Company
© 2016 The Fred Rogers Company. All rights reserved.