Kindergarten Registration Day

Kindergarten registration day is just around the corner. Here is some helpful information to help you get ready for the big day. This information is only valid for Hamilton County in Tennessee. If you live outside the Hamilton County area, call your local Department of Education with questions.

When is it?

Registration day for all schools is on April 5, 2017.

Who can register for Kindergarten?

All children who will be five (5) years old on or before August 15th.

Where should you register?

Parents/Guardians should register students at their zoned school. Hamilton County no longer accepts a power of attorney for school registration. 

What should you bring to registration?

  • Your photo ID
  • Social Security number for child
  • Official copy of child's birth certificate
  • Two different proofs of of residency for their zoned school on or before registration day. Acceptable documents in the custodial parent/guardian's name are:
    • Electric, water, gas, or cable bills within the last 30-60 days
    • Current lease or mortgage
    • Agency, government or court documentation
  • Proof that all required immunizations are up to date. (A copy of a Certificate of Immunization is available here)

Please note that Hamilton County no longer accepts a power of attorney to register a child for school.

Special Circumstances

If one of these situations apply, you will need to bring the relevant paperwork to the central office at 3074 Hickory Valley Road, Chattanooga, TN 37421.

  • If a student and his/her custodial parent/guardian are living with another family in the Hamilton County school zone, both families must be present to sign a notarized Affidavit of Housing. Failure to provide accurate information could interrupt your child's enrollment process. The supporting family member or representative must provide two (2) different proofs of current address to be approved for that zone. Acceptable documents are current electric, water, gas, or cable bills within the last 30-60 days, a current lease or mortgage, and Agency or court documentation. In the case of an Agency, a representative must mail or fax a letter to the Student Services Office verifying the student/parent's residence. If the family has moved into the Hamilton County school zone from another town or state they must also provide a copy of a Certified Birth Certificate and Social Security Card. Immunization records must be on a Tennessee form (this can be done at the Health Department at no charge or your private physician). After approval, you will take the immunization form to the school who will notify the parent if a physical is needed.
  • If moving from one school zone to another, during the school year, the custodial parent/guardian must provide termination-exit/transfer-final bill proof  from the previous address and show two (2) different proofs of the new address in the custodial parent/guardian's name (i.e., utilities, DHS, government documents, insurance).

For additional information about registering your child for Kindergarten, visit the Hamilton County Department of Education's website or call (423) 209-8400.