WELSH HONEY SHOW RULES 2018
- Judging will be based on the rules and standards provided by the Welsh Honey Association. A certified Welsh Honey Show Judge will preside over the show.
- Judges, stewards, and show secretary are disqualified from competition.
- All honey and wax exhibited must be the bona fide produce of the exhibitors’ own bees.
- Entries will be accepted on Saturday, July 28th, 9:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. at Creative Discovery Museum. No late entries will be accepted. Entries must stay the duration of Honey Harvest. If you are unable to pick up your entries at the end of Honey Harvest on Sunday, July 29 at 4:00 p.m. you may designate someone to pick them up for you.
- All entries for honey and candles must be submitted in duplicate: i.e., two matching jars of honey, two boxes of cut-comb, or to candles. All entries must be identical. The only exemption is black jar; one is enough.
- Submit extracted honey in standard one-pound Queen line jars. Either plastic or glass is acceptable; jars with tamper-proof seals will be disqualified. No quart or pint jars will be judged (i.e.: mason, ball, kerr).
- Submit two jars of chunk honey in standard one-pound chunk honey jars with wide mouths and straight sides. The sole criterion in the black jar class is flavor. Beeswax entries must be pure beeswax.
- Art and photography must be presented in a self-standing frame. Each must be accompanied with a 3 x 5 card giving the title, artist, and brief “story” behind the piece.
- Staging of exhibits will be carried out exclusively by show stewards. Exhibitors are not allowed in the judging area until after the results are announced.
- All entries are judged on individual merit; Class Ribbons are awarded at judge's discretion. No Monetary Awards are given.
- Decision of the Head Judge on any matter whatsoever, under or in relation to the foregoing rules and regulations, or on any protest or objection in relation thereto, or to any exhibit, shall be final.
- Exhibitor’s name must not be shown. Do not label products in any way. An identifying code sticker will be assigned to your entry at registration.
- Contestants may enter in any or all classes but may enter only once per class. The same honey container cannot be entered in both the black jar class and another extracted honey class.
- All honey and beeswax entries must have been produced by the submitter and within the last 12 months. This restriction does not apply to entries in textiles, photography, art, and gadgets.
There are thirteen show classes:
1. Extracted Honey Light. Extracted honey must be shown in clear glass, 1lb queen line jars with screw tops or twist off lids, all being identical. No tamper proof seals. Two identical jars are required.
2. Amber. Extracted honey must be shown in clear glass, 1lb queen line jars, with screw tops or twist off lids, all being identical. No tamper proof seals. Two identical jars are required.
3. Dark. Extracted honey must be shown in clear glass, 1lb queen line jars, with screw tops or twist off lids, all being identical. No tamper proof seals. Two identical jars are required.
4. Chunk Honey. Must be shown in smooth sided, clear glass, 1lb wide-mouth jars, with screw tops or twist off, all identical. No tamper proof seals. Two identical jars are required.
5. Black Jar. Minimum of 8oz fill will be accepted. One jar is required.
6. Cut-Comb. Sections should be exhibited in clear sided cases with transparent snap on lids, fitting the box and filled to the maximum, all sides visible. Two identical containers are required.
7. Creamed Honey. Creamed honey must be shown in straight-sided clear glass, 8 oz. jars (jelly jars), with screw tops or twist off lids, all being identical. No tamper proof seals. Two identical jars are required.
8. Beeswax Cake. A single molded piece of two pounds or more is required.
9. Candles (poured or dipped, straight or ornamental). Two 100% beeswax dipped candles with wicks, up to and including 1.5 inch in diameter, all being identical. Ornamental candles shall be Two 100% beeswax molded decorative candles with wicks, up to and including 4 inches in diameter, and all being identical.
10. Original Bee-Related Photography. Photographs must be framed or mounted on a piece of stiff card (any size). Photograph must be accompanied by a visible 3 x 5 card with title and explanation.
11. Original Bee-Related Art. (i.e. painting, woodworking, non-fabric etc. but not a photograph) must be accompanied by a visible 3 x 5 card with title and explanation. 12. Textile. Textile (i.e. embroidery, quilt, knitting, fabric arts, etc.) must be accompanied by a visible 3 x 5 card with title and explanation.
13. Beekeeping Gadgets. Gadgets related to bees or beekeeping must be accompanied by a visible 3 x 5 card with title and explanation.